Munich, Germany: The City

DSC_0012
DSC_0014

Over Easter break, I embarked on my Great Easter Break Holiday (very creative name, I know). Easter break was the perfect time to kickstart my travels because it presented a bulk of uninterrupted free time to fill. With my passport in hand and backpack in tow, I left early one morning for my first stop - Munich.

It was rather exciting travelling solo. You can't depend on anyone to double-check your schedules or to compel you to be on time. There is no one to navigate a map with or to watch out for you on the train. The only person you can depend on is yourself - and I must say, it was quite a refreshing experience. That being said, I was only alone for a few hours until I met up with Maria, a German friend of mine who I lived with last summer in France! She's like the big sister I never had and it was so good to see her again. She brought me on my own personal tour of Munich, so we saw touristy bits but also local spots.

DSC_0025
Part of the statue of the Virgin Mary, at Marienplatz
DSC_0034
Munich's Opera House
DSC_0036
DSC_0040
DSC_0041
DSC_0047
The Royal Garden in the middle of the city
DSC_0050
Japanese Teahouse located within the English Gardens
DSC_0054
Surfing in a canal at the English Gardens! I couldn't believe my eyes.
DSC_0057
DSC_0067
DSC_0066
DSC_0069
My friend, Maria!
DSC_0070

These were just but a few of the sites we saw. I really enjoyed taking a road off the beaten path and seeing lesser-known streets and buildings. But what warmed my heart even more was crossing paths again with a friend - a long time later - only to find that not much has changed except the lengths of your hair and the season you're in. x