Hofbräuhaus, Munich

DSC_0171

DSC_0172

Hofbräuhaus is Munich's most famous beer house. It has a capacity of over three thousand people and serves up a good variety of Bavarian beer and food. Here, I had my first authentic pretzel - guess what folks? They're not the kind you get at Auntie Anne's! I feel like I've been deluded my entire life. Rather, these pretzels are a lot bigger, a lot chewier and doughier, and all salty. You would be hard-pressed to find a beer house selling sweet pretzels. Another thing I noticed: beer here is sold in mugs by the litre. How's that to make you feel like a grown-up? 

DSC_0174

DSC_0179

I really enjoyed my time here. It's not the best place for conversation because it's a really big hall, and as you can imagine, it can get very noisy with its boisterous crowds. However, I loved the atmosphere! A live band playing traditional Bavarian music, waiters walking around in traditional outfits, good food and good beer. You have to try it if you want a taste of what a pub might have been like back in older times!

x